Many families find themselves feeding their baby a combination of breastmilk and formula–either by choice or through circumstance. Despite this being a very common way of infant feeding, there is a lack of non-judgemental, empathic, evidence based information available to support parents.
In this book you will find:
- How to choose, prepare, feed and store formula–including the big questions– how much and how often?
- How to switch between at breast feeding and topping up in ways which can help to reduce the chances of bottle preference.
- Quick glance “how to combi feed” sections for many scenarios ranging from not wanting to breastfeed in public or to give Mum an occasional “night off” to regular daily bottles due to weight gain worries or long term medical conditions.
- How to care for your breasts and maintain a comfortable milk supply while mixed feeding.
- How to avoid the “top up trap” of giving more and more formula when you only wanted to introduce a bottle once a day.
- Rebuilding a milk supply if you want combi-feeding to be temporary.
- Basic breastfeeding support and information to help you overcome the most common causes of unwanted combination feeding–including the myths around frequent feeding and low milk supply, and how to overcome pain plus where you can get extra help.
- Real life stories and quotes from families who have been where you are now.
- A section for premature babies or those with extra needs.
This book won’t tell you to stop combination feeding. It trusts you as the expert on your child and situation. It gives you all the options so that you can feel empowered to feed your baby with confidence.
Lucy Ruddle is an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC), Holistic Sleep Coach, and international speaker on parent centred care in the lactation field. With a background in child development and psychology She runs a thriving listening focused private practice in the UK and is Mum to 2 boys, one of which was combination fed.
Author: Lucy Ruddle, IBCLC